Search This Blog

Monday 22 June 2015

End of Days by Susan Ee


Title: End of Days (Penryn & The End of Days #3)
Author: Susan Ee
Published: May 12, 2015
Publisher: Skyscape
ISBN: 
978-1477829707
Genre: Sci-Fi and Fantasy

End of Days is the explosive conclusion to Susan Ee’s bestselling Penryn & the End of Days trilogy.
After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.
When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?

Rating: 

In my honest opinion, this was the perfect conclusion to an incredible series.

Considering that I came out of the first book feeling pretty 'meh' about Penryn, it has come as a massive surprise to suddenly find myself completely fangirling over her. Her character development throughout the three books was superb and at the end of this book she really, truly deserved her title of 'Kick-ass female'.

Raffe? Do I really need to say anything about him? What a fucking dream-boat. And at the end? Jesus!

description

The development of their relationship was lovely. I've seen a lot of reviews that said they felt like the chemistry had failed and that their romance felt 'flat'. I wholeheartedly disagree. I think, given their respective situations, it was realistic, hopeful and, well, hot!(view spoiler)

description

This book definitely makes up for the lack of Raffe in the second book- and, in fact, we don't see much of anyone else. Paige and the Mother seem to take a step back, but I can't honestly say the book is any worse off for that fact because Penryn and Raffe just have such an amazing dynamic.

I think, perhaps, the stories for the supporting cast could have been wrapped up a bit better. We're left with no idea of what happens to anyone barring Raffe, Penryn, Paige and the Mother. I think it would have been nice to know what happened to Dee and Dum and the Watchers.

Especially Dee and Dum. But I think my attachment to these two has a lot to do with their similarity to these two:

description

The Watchers - NEW FAVOURITE CHARACTERS!! They were awesome, and I love that Beliel wasn't just an a-typical bad-guy. I like that Ee gave him a tragic backstory that helped us to understand his character outside of being the big bad. He has reasons - he wasn't just a two dimensional disney villain and that was a refreshing change. I like my villains complex and tragic.

description

There was a fair amount of questions left unanswered, but nothing important and nothing relative to the plot. And, lets be honest, sometimes we don't want all the questions answered - sometimes we like to use our own imagination. Or, well, I know I do.

Overall, one of the better conclusions to a series that I've read. I absolutely loved these books and would encourage everyone to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment