Search This Blog

Saturday 2 May 2015

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch


Title: Snow Like Ashes
Author: Sara Raasch
Publisher: Balzer+Bray
Published: October 14, 2014
ASIN: B00HYMBNUS
Genre: Fantasy

A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making. 
Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since. 
Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.  
So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.


Rating: 



This book was really, really disappointing.

I had really high hopes after all of the reviews and it just sort of ... fell flat?

Don't get me wrong. It's a good book. I enjoyed it enough that I kept reading. I think I just got caught up in the hype and expected too much?

Overall, I thought the book just tried too hard. The world building is what I'd call 'meh' - I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. At times, the naming could be a little cringe-worthy. There was absolutely nothing new in terms of characters. I've met them all a hundred times before in a hundred different books. This one was riddled with tropes that have been done better in other books.

And what is with the frickin' love-triangles? Is it law that all YA-Fantasy books featuring a female protagonist must feature a love triangle? 

Meira, as a character, tries too hard. I love that writers are trying to make a point and take a feminist stand with their characters. But sometimes they fall short of the mark and, at times, can do more harm than good. Meira is your standard fantasy female MC: orphaned, tom-boy, can-do, I-dont-need-no-man, burn-anything-remotely-feminine but ends up being the specialest of special snowflakes. Again, there's nothing new here and for a recycled character, it's been done better in other books. Unfortunately, here's another one to add to the list of female characters I do not like. Mostly because, like a lot of female characters, Meira strays dangerously close to Misandry. Or, well, Raasch does.

By trying to maintain a feminine view-point and trying to project the message that women are just as capable as men, she goes to far and can, at times, err on the side of man-bashing. That's not feminism. It's, also, not cool.

Also, Meira is too much of a moaner to make it onto my list of likeable characters. For someone who spends so much of the book trying to convince us of her capability, she is way too much of a whiner.

This book is actually compared to Graceling, and I can fully support that because I had a nice little rant about feminist ideologies in that book, too.

But, overall, a pretty enjoyable read with enough good points that I am looking forward to the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment